The Alabama Eye Bank appreciates your desire to communicate with the recipient /donor family. We try to ensure that all correspondence is handled with utmost care and confidentiality. To that end, we have developed guidelines that we believe will allow you both freedom to express yourself and parameters for maintaining the anonymity of the families involved. Consequently, the following guidelines must be followed when corresponding:
- First, remember that responding is a personal choice and is not required; some families wish to remain unknown, and therefore, may not choose to respond.
- Write about yourself…you may want to include your name (first name only), information about your job, family and friends, hobbies, interests and the name of the state you reside in.
- Write about the transplant or donation and how it has affected your life.
- Use simple language and communicate in a sensitive manner.
- Sign your first name only.
- Keep identities anonymous and confidential…avoid including any last names, street addresses, city names, phone numbers or names of hospitals or physicians.
After you have completed your letter:
- Place the card or letter in an unsealed envelope.
- Reference to us donor or recipient name (full) and date of the donor’s death.
- Mail to the Alabama Eye Bank:
Alabama Eye Bank
500 Robert Jemison Road
Birmingham, AL 35209
- If you choose not to respond, please place the recipient/donor letter in the return envelop so we will know you did not desire to respond.
All letters are reviewed to ensure confidentiality. The Eye Bank representative will send your letter or card to the recipient/donor family. It may take a few weeks for your letter to be received. If you don’t receive return correspondence within a reasonable time, you should assume the donor/recipient chose not to respond to your letter.
If you have questions or concerns about this information, please contact Jamison Kuehn, Communications Director at (800) 877-399-5602.